Camp Harmony is located on an elevated point at the junction of the Restigouche and the Upsalquitch Rivers. Dean Sage named the site Harmony after Julia Harmony Twichell, the wife of his good friend and fishing companion, Rev. Joseph Twichell, a clergyman from Hartford, Connecticut.
Sage built the first camp on the Harmony site in 1879, it was a three-room building with birch-bark partitions between the walls. While hardly luxurious, it was a major improvement over living in tents.
In 1888, Sage published “The Restigouche and its Salmon Fishing”, a fly-fishing classic that further spread the fame of the river system.
Dean Sage, William H. Sage, Col. Oliver H. Payne, William C., Whitnerry and Charles Lawrence, decided to rebuild an improved Camp Harmony in 1895-1896.
Stanford White designed the new Camp as a sprawling log building with a very large octagonal living room-dining room surmounted by a peaked roof. This became the central point from which the two bedroom wings radiated, one overlooking the Restigouche River, the other the Upsalquitch. The whole being surrounded by a comfortable porch affording magnificent views up and down both rivers. All of the golden oak furniture was shipped to Matapedia and hauled up river by scow. Except for the addition of electric light and more comfortable easy chairs and sofas, as well as bathrooms, the Camp remains exactly as it was in 1896 and a concerted effort has been made to keep it so.
For more information about the camp you can go to: http://www.campharmony.ca